I contacted my painter for an estimate....UMMMM no way!! It was beyond out of my price range. I asked him for his advice. I saw many pictures of completed projects, but not much guidance. He advised sanding, staining and a ton of other work I had no desire to do. I wanted the southern Louisiana plantation look with black enamel. No wood grain showing through. I couldn't decide if I wanted to use a latex- or oil based paint. After researching, I decided on an oil-based paint...mainly because other bloggers used oil based paint.
Unfortunately, I was told oil based paint wasn't available to me in the state of Ohio. On to plan B. I decided to prime the stairs, paint and polyurethane. HA!!! The paint product and process changed so much for me during this project. The project took almost three weeks for me to complete.
First, I tore off the carpet runner. I was beyond ecstatic to see hardwood treads gleaming (maybe not) in front of my eyes!!! The dust was awful. Thick, crusty and just disgusting. My boys wanted to help with the project and we all wore masks. Seriously, if y'all knew what was lurking under your carpet I can guarantee you would stop reading...get the hammer out and start tearing out carpet.
After tearing off the carpet on the landing, I had to make a descision of what to replace it with as there was a piece of wood surrounding the insert. I went to Home Depot and purchased a piece of good quality plywood---one of their associates cut it to fit to size, including the proper notch!!
Second, I filled the holes on the risers. I did not fill holes on the treads as I didn't want filler on the walking surface...no science behind this....just Jackie reasoning. :) I also sanded the treads and risers down along with the banisters and newel posts. This took forever!!! I used a palm sander on the flat surfaces and a sanding sponge on the other surfaces. Make sure to purchase several sheets of sand paper....it took about 1 piece per tread. I used a medium grit. After wiping down all of the surfaces with tack cloth I was ready to prime.
Fourth, due to the ban on oil-paint sells in Ohio, I decided to use Behr floor and porch paint in low lustre finish. I was extremely disappointed in the look of this product. It was dull and rubbery looking....I thought no big deal since it was going to have polyurethane over it. UNTIL!!!!! I discovered latex paint must cure for 30 days before putting an oil based polyurethane over it. (science--latex dries as the water evaporates--the water can't escape from the oil covering and the result is a foggy mess) At this point I discovered the polycrylic can't be used on floors. OMG!!!! This project was going to be the death of me!!! I connected several paint store for a solution. I called a Sherwin Williams and was told since I used a Behr product...there was nothing they could do to help me. If anyone knows me---I rarely accept NO for an answer. I am a firm believer there is a solution to every problem!! I called another Sherwin Williams store. The store manager answered the line and was beyond helpful. I explained the whole process step by step to this point. I won't say what he told me at this point as I don't want him to get in trouble. But oil wasn't an option because I had already painted the latex floor paint on most of the project. He said I could use Sherwin Williams Acrylic paint. But do not apply a topcoat of any sorts!!! The product didn't allow topcoat adherence very well. He also said, if the stairs do scuff up it would be easy~peasy for me to lightly sand and apply another coat. (which seemed to be a common idea from painting forums I researched) I decided to use the Gloss Acrylic paint in black.
*****painting process***** I used a 1 1/2 inch Purdy angled brush....this brush allowed the finest precision cutting in. I also used a 6 inch foam roller.
FINALLY~!!!!!! The black paint was finished!!! I couldn't wait to tear off the delicate blue tape. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not ever buy or use this tape!!!! It allowed seepage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost cried when seeing every single spindle with black paint!!!!!!!!!!! It even seeped onto the risers!!!!!
I went to Home Depot and purchased the Behr paint and primer ultra white and a quart of zinsser oil primer. I cut in with the Purdy angle brush....This brush became my new best friend!!! I couldn't get over how precise the lines were. I ended up painting all the wainscoting, spindles and trim. After the white paint was applied and dried. I cut back in with a final coat of black on the treads. The end result was and is luscious!!!!
This by far was my toughest do-it-yourself project to date. I would be lying if I said it was easy or not a ton of work. At one point watching me cut in, L said, "I was blessed with an enormous amount of patience. " LOL!!! Big Bubba!!! I laughed!!! I said, "I have three children....patience is absolutely one of my better qualities!!"
I can't believe how gorgeous it came out!!! It looks exactly how I wanted it to. Oh almost forgot...I had to break out the 20 foot extension ladder at some point. L was making the kids dinner...I had not set up the ladder properly and it slipped out from under me. I had to hold on to the spindles and hold my body super taunt with feet clutching the ladder screaming for him to grab the ladder as it continued to slip. Moral of the story---make sure there is a strong adult to stand under the ladder when you are up on it!! I was shaking so hard after that!!!! But of course, I got right back on the ladder to finish my project!!!!
I am beyond happy with the results!!!!!